Sunday, 3 November 2013

Welcome


Welcome


I’ve made wine. I do bread. I make yogurt – even pasta – but cocktails are my latest thing. At cocktail hour (whenever that happens to be), we often chat over the day as I rustle up a little something.

We have our favourites, but it’s fun to experiment.


Last week, my book, The Cloud Pearl, was released. It’s the fifth book this year (I’ve been busy), and I’ve celebrated each release day and title with a unique concoction. It’s become something of a ritual.

It struck me that it might be fun to share the recipes, and here we are.

If you’re wondering about the title, whenever my father went on a golfing holiday to France, when asked what time it was, he always said: ‘Half-past Kronenburg.’ It was that kind of gents’ vacation. This is my small homage to the expression.

Anyway, here’s the recipe for The Cloud Pearl cocktail. It has a UV twist!

Preparation:
Make some tonic water ice cubes by pouring tonic water into an ice cube tray. You’ll also need to locate a source of UV light. I bought a cheap mini-torch on ebay. It also has an infra-red light, which I feel might feature in a future drinkie.

  • One measure of gin
  • One measure of sweet vermouth (bianco)
  • One measure of dry vermouth
  • Dash of Angostura bitters
  • Ice.

To make:
Place liquor into a shaker and shake lightly with two or three ice cubes per person.
Place tonic water ice cube into a classic wide cocktail glass.
Dim the lights and switch on UV light as you pour the cocktail over the tonic water cube.

The quinine in the tonic water glows lilac. It fizzles as it floats and looks amazing.

By Pamela Kelt

PS The book is for younger readers, so this recipe is only on this site. To appease my conscience, I also devised an alcohol-free white chocolate milk shake/smoothie, that worked well. I’ll put this up another day ...